[cairo] Freetype to Cairo - newb needs help

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:10:18 PDT 2007

Donn wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 October 2007 22:43, Carl Worth wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:35:14 +0200, Donn wrote:
[snip]
>  The basic plan (with pinkie finger in corner of mouth) is to send a paf (path
> and filename) to the new module (foo) and have it open the FT_Face, bung it
> into a cairo face and then return that cairo face such that it works:
>
> import foo
> cr_face = foo.voodoo("/path/somefont.ttf")
> ctx.set_font_face(cr_face)
> etc.

http://int-e.home.tlink.de/cft/ provides exactly that functionality as
cairo_freetype.load_face(), for pycairo 1.4.0 under linux. It's still
very rough. Feel free to take and do whatever you want with it.

Thanks to Behdad for pointing out that my initial approach was flawed.
It's still a hack but it feels better than using an undocumented symbol
from a shared object.

Bertram