[cairo] Fwd: PDF text doesn't render

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:20:43 PDT 2007

On 24/09/2007, Shixin Zeng <zeng.shixin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/24/07, Baz <brian.ewins at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 24/09/2007, Adam Lichtl <alichtl at bnl.gov> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Attached is the config.log file from my cairo-1.4.10 build.  Running
> > > "freetype-config --version" gives 9.3.3.
> >
> > Right now I'd suspect an old, fixed, freetype bug is causing your
> > problem (by causing a failure that triggers the fallback, and so on).
> > If that's the case, the bug probably isn't mac-specific and we should
> > be able to reproduce it on linux with an equally old freetype? It'd be
> > nice if someone tried this. You don't need to have Preview to try it
> > out, just run pdffonts on the output of Adam's test program at the
> > start of this thread, if you hit the bug it'll show a font called
> > Cairo-x-y for some numbers x, y.
>
> On my system, FC4 with freetype2 9.7.3, I got:
> $ pdffonts out.pdf
> name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
> CairoFont-0-0                        CID Type 0C  yes no  yes     10  0
>
> Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks - that is ideal!

So, it looks like we get the fallback with old versions of freetype,
and Preview has problems with the fallback. Things to do...

- it'd be nice to figure out if we can tweak the embedded font to
prevent the Preview problem; I'll still look into that, since it seems
I have a similar bug with atsui.
- Adrian, Carl - I presume there are some values of $version for
freetype where using the fallback is not considered a bug?
- However, it'd also be nice to know what version works correctly.
I'll install a few and find out.
- Mac users who have inherited this problem from Apple's X11 need to
install a more recent freetype to fix it for now - eg with macports,
'port install freetype' would do.

Cheers,
Baz