[cairo] PDF text doesn't render

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 18:12:54 PDT 2007

On 24/09/2007, Shixin Zeng <zeng.shixin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry again, I think I misunderstood Baz's email. I should have run
> the test program, instead of running pdffonts on the attached out.pdf
> in Adam's email. Unfortunately, I don't have libcairo-dev installed on
> this system, so I don't think I can help on this. Sorry once more for
> the noise.

No worries. It seems I was being noisy myself - I tried going back to
freetype 2.1.10, didn't manage to reproduce the bug, and rechecked
what I'd done. Turned out I had two copies of Vera on my system, and
Inconsolata was only installed beside one of them... installing
Inconsolata in the right place reproduced the bug under all versions
of freetype; and of course I now see it with atsui too.

One thing you asked for Adrian was samples of what works in Preview,
with the same font type. Firstly, apple's textedit embeds Inconsolata
like this:

name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
NRYXYK+Inconsolata                   Type 1C      yes yes no       6  0

Now a doc with 0C embeddings that works:
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/home/brompton_brochure.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
FSHFHW+HelveticaNeue-Thin            CID Type 0C  yes yes yes    179  0
XGFJZM+HelveticaNeue-Light           CID Type 0C  yes yes yes    191  0
UIBRJS+HelveticaNeue-Medium          CID Type 0C  yes yes yes    199  0
QCNTFA+HelveticaNeue-ThinItalic      CID Type 0C  yes yes yes    209  0
OMTHDE+HelveticaNeue-Roman           CID Type 0C  yes yes yes    212  0

Also this:
http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/Oprofile.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
[snipped other fonts, only one is 0C]
MyriadPro-Regular-Identity-H         CID Type 0C  yes no  no      42  0

Also, here is an example of a non-0C embedding that also doesnt work in Preview:
http://cs.berkeley.edu/%7Ecgjones/papers/intel-browser-2007.08.pdf
(as seen on roc's blog) only the Arial bold italic text displays in this doc.

Hopefully these are helpful for comparison.

Cheers,
Baz