[cairo] GSoC Project - API Reference to wiki port

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at pointy-stick.com
Wed Apr 2 13:04:08 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 11:55 -0500, Bill Weepie wrote:
> Hello Cairo,
>
> I'm a student of Computer Science at Iowa State University.  I'm
> interested in helping improve the Cairo wiki and API reference for the
> Summer of Code 2008.  A few questions:
>
> I notice there are quite a few docbook files in the Cairo source tree.
> Are these references kept current?  If so, the best plan to keep the
> API reference current would be transforming these docbook files to
> markdown syntax for the wiki to consume.  My proposal would be to
> write an xslt stylesheet and/or parser module for ikiwiki to do this
> transformation.  A module like this would directly benefit Cairo, but
> would also be usable by any software project using docbook and ikiwiki
> at once.
>
> Is this a reasonable way to tackle this problem, or am I missing
> something important?

Unfortunately, you're missing something important. When applying for any
job (which is what SOC is), reading the application details are
important. In particular,
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_doc_proposals .

Proposals that predominantly focus on documentation aren't appropriate
for summer of code.

Regards,
Malcolm

--