[cairo] cairo and glitz

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Apr 9 09:16:32 PDT 2008

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:47:20 +0100, gandalfn wrote:
> I know that glitz is not maintained more actively, but I
> use it in cairo-compmgr[1] and in my company[2], we are particularly
> satisfied because this one is very well adapted to made 2D vectorial
> rendering in OpenGL. To continue to used with next version of cairo, we
> propose to take again development glitz.

Hi Nicolas,

Welcome! (and I apologize that I didn't reply sooner).

You don't have to accept as given that glitz is not maintained more
actively. And it sounds like you're taking on its maintenance
yourself. So, congratulations! I'll be sure to start directing any
queries about glitz your direction.

> For that I created a git mirror of glitz [3] which integrate my patchs,
> and proposed a patch for glitz surface in cairo which convert
> fixed-point 24.8 into 16.16, glitz doesn't support for now 24.8
> fixed-points [4].

Excellent. If you would like to start pushing your glitz changes to
the repository on freedesktop.org, then you'll just need a
freedesktop.org account. The process for requesting one is described
here:

	http://freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests

> Our next contributions for glitz will plan the addition of
> documentation, and we think for integrating an interface with
> ShivaVG.

Documentation will be wonderful. And if you would like to start
thinking about putting together a "release" of glitz with some
API-stability guarantees, then that could be interesting to.

I haven't pushed out your changes to cairo/src/cairo-glitz-surface.c
yet. And we're too close to do that before cairo 1.6.0 now, but we can
do that right after 1.6 goes out, (or you will be able to even push
the changes yourself with your new freedesktop.org account). So that
stuff can be in place for 1.6.2 and beyond.

Have fun with cairo!

And thanks again for your offer to pick up the maintenance of this
neglected piece of code.