[cairo] Use of git

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 01:36:26 PST 2008

2008/1/12, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org>:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:55:13 +0200, "Gerdus van Zyl" wrote:
> > Has anybody looked into git-svn?
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html
>
> I've used it for tracking projects, (like GNOME-related stuff), that
> are still languishing in svn.
>
> It does mean that an initial clone takes *forever*, (yes, svn is
> _really_ slow), but I do get all of the benefits of offline history
> exploration once that's done. And I can even use familiar git UI for
> creating local branches and local commits.

Fortunately you can limit the revisions you fetch initially, so just
to create a patch against GTK+ trunk you don't have to fetch the whole
10 years of history, you can start from a bit more recent revision.

> I've never attempted to use the support it has for pushing such
> git-created commits back through svn, but that's intended to be
> possible.

It works fine as long as we are talking about pushing commits from
master to trunk, but I hear people have significant problems when
branches are involved in either end. It really functions best when
used simply as a local way to create patches I think.

> Personally, if I had commits I'd like to share from a project like
> that I would just push out a new git repository with my changes.

That has the drawback of less interest from the upstream to look at
those changes if they are sticking with SVN (or whatever) for personal
reasons... I don't think it's a big one though.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi