[cairo] LCD filtering in cairo, use default filter?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jan 13 16:03:33 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 17:18 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 10:41 -0500, Sylvain Pasche wrote:
> >
> > Right now there is no link between fontconfig and the LCD filter option yet.
>
> Right.  And I believe I told you that first step to get this patch into
> cairo is to work with Keith Packard to get this element in fontconfig.
> If you are quick enough, you can make this happen and released in
> fontconfig 2.6 pretty soon.

We've been discussing that in a fontconfig bug entry (yay for bugzilla
hiding conversations). I'd rather see this integrated into cairo;
fontconfig itself has no interest in rendering options and does provide
the necessary APIs to make this work. The problem is only one of
ordering -- fontconfig needs to know about new constants before the
configuration file is read.

It would also be really nice if FreeType would tell us whether the
bytecode interpreter is available, and whether a specific font has byte
code hints. Then we could automate the selection of the hinting value
far better than we do now. I looked briefly at trying to use existing
FreeType apis to figure this out, but it's not easy.

keith.packard at intel.com