[cairo] Cairo on SLES 10 SP2

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Thu Jul 17 16:09:08 PDT 2008

>> I am a new linux user trying to convert my company over and am testing
>> out SLES 10 SP2. It comes with Cairo version 1.0.2 installed, but
>> cannot figure out how to upgrade to a newer version (the old one is
>> causing some conflicts with software I am trying to use).

Then you have a conflicting requirements, have been reading misguided
instructions, or something. SLES is the "enterprise" versions of SUSE,
and thus by definition it uses very mature (old) software versions. If
you want to use bleeding-edge third-party Open Source software, you
probably should be running openSUSE instead, of which version 11 was
recently released. (Or some other less enterpriseish distro.)

That said, you *should* be able to install (in the sense "compile
yourself and install into a *separate* location") the latest cairo
also on SLES10. Don't try to "upgrade" in the sense of replacing the
existing system cairo package.

--tml