[cairo] [Fwd: problem building cairo 1.6.4 on slightly older linux]

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Jun 9 11:03:04 PDT 2008

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:24:33 -0700, Charles Doutriaux wrote:
> Thanks for looking into it,  I figured that much, but it's for a user
> that has only access to some really old machines. Is there a way around it?

Install lots of new software on the old machine, (likely not a simple
task).

> What happens if i turn off xrender? what will be broken in cairo?

Cairo should always render correctly regardless of which backends you
enable. (And if it doesn't, let us know.)

As for cairo's xrender support, if you are running cairo against an X
server that doesn't have the X Render extension, then it doesn't
matter whether you compile the xrender support into cairo or not,
(since it won't be able to use it at runtime anyway). So in that case,
passing the --disable-xlib-xrender option when configuring your cairo
compile will likely be the easiest way to get something "working".

BUT... using cairo with an X server without the X Render extension is
also very slow. So your best bet for performance is to get a newer X
server, with the associated Xrender library, and to building cairo
with --enable-xlib-xrender against that stuff. And the easiest route
toward getting all that is likely to install a recent distribution
that has all the pieces nicely packaged.

But you certainly have many option.

I hope that helps explain things. Have fun with cairo!