[cairo] colour management

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Mar 5 23:27:15 PST 2008

Am 05.03.08, 21:48 +0100 schrieb Aubanel MONNIER:

> Unfortunately I'm no more a student, I'm more on the giving courses side of
> the barrier + a full time job. I just contributed a few bits to inkscape a
> few years ago, and not being able to generate pre-press quality pdfs
> (meaning for me CMYK) is a pain in the ... neck.

Would you mentor? I offer to help with the colour management side.

Having partitial implemented a fully fledged CMS in CinePaint and
maintained to reach maturity and created some colour management
applications, this experience could help in creating something up to date
in Cairo.

Not to forget there are even more helpful people at the OpenICC list for
such a project.

I did only use Cairo export functions and did not look deeply into PDF.
Someone mentoring these sides would have the main mentoring work.

> About cairo depending on lcms or another color management system (I think
> MacOS X has its own for example), I would say yes. It's very small and it
> seems the simplest solution to me. Do you have some strong feelings agains
> that ?

Nothing against lcms, but I'd suggest to link not directly but use a
colour management module (CMM) framework instead. With lcms wrapped into a
CMM API, the CMM can be selected by users. Oyranos has in its last code a
alpha implementation for that. The default CMM in Oyranos would be lcms.

The code could be made available through git. I'm not shure about the
implications to security through my git setup. I'll ask at a git list.

> Regards,
>    Aubanel.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann