[cairo] colour management

Aubanel MONNIER aubanel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 01:31:31 PST 2008

2008/3/6, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de>:

> Am 05.03.08, 21:48 +0100 schrieb Aubanel MONNIER:
>

> > Unfortunately I'm no more a student, I'm more on the giving courses side
> of
> > the barrier + a full time job. I just contributed a few bits to inkscape
> > few years ago, and not being able to generate pre-press quality pdfs
> > (meaning for me CMYK) is a pain in the ... neck.
>

> Would you mentor? I offer to help with the colour management side.

I sure can try, but I'm not sure I'm the right person for that (poor
student). I don't even know cairo that well.
However, if no one else wants to step up, and if a mentor is really required
to get this into cairo, then I'll take the time to do it the most rightly I
can ( did I mention that I really need that ?).

Having partitial implemented a fully fledged CMS in CinePaint and
> maintained to reach maturity and created some colour management
> applications, this experience could help in creating something up to date
> in Cairo.

OK, so you already know a lot more than I do. You'd better be the mentor ...

Not to forget there are even more helpful people at the OpenICC list for
> such a project.
>
> I did only use Cairo export functions and did not look deeply into PDF.
> Someone mentoring these sides would have the main mentoring work.
>

> > About cairo depending on lcms or another color management system (I
> think
> > MacOS X has its own for example), I would say yes. It's very small and
> it
> > seems the simplest solution to me. Do you have some strong feelings
> agains
> > that ?
>

> Nothing against lcms, but I'd suggest to link not directly but use a
> colour management module (CMM) framework instead. With lcms wrapped into a
> CMM API, the CMM can be selected by users. Oyranos has in its last code a
> alpha implementation for that. The default CMM in Oyranos would be lcms.

Why not, sounds reasonable.

The code could be made available through git. I'm not shure about the
> implications to security through my git setup. I'll ask at a git list.

Hum, git does not work on my machine (I have no linux up and running right
now). Does the minGW port work fine ?