[cairo] cairo/quartz on iPhone

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Fri Mar 7 00:52:04 PST 2008

Howdy,

It turns out that the iPhone's platform services such as CoreGraphics
are basically identical to the native OSX ones, so I did a bit of
munging tonight and figured out the incantations [*] that allow cairo
to build using the iPhone Aspen SDK and to run in the emulator.  Note
that the emulator is an x86 API-level emulator; while it's possible to
build for arm, you can't run the code on anything yet.

The Quartz backend works as-is; the only issue there is that it was
including Carbon.h, when it really should just be including
CoreGraphics.h.  The bigger issue is that the iPhone does not have
ATSUI (which is fine -- ATS is being deprecated on OSX overall), so I
wrote a start of a CGFont backend.  This really should be the main
backend for Quartz; we can main compat with the old ATSUI font_face
creation function pretty easily, but the ATSUI internals should go
away.  I might try to do this before we release 1.6, as I'd like to
see Quartz become a supported backend in 1.6 and these are really
general non-iPhone specific issues.

Anyway, the few changes and CGFont backend are pushed to my repository
in the aspen-sdk branch -- see http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/vladimir/cairo;a=shortlog;h=aspen-sdk
  .  One thing that I'm a little confused by is that my scaled glyph
metrics getting function seems to need to return glyph metrics
unscaled by any current text scale -- that seems to be applied by
cairo itself?  It's not quite what I expected, but I can't find
anything actually wrong with the results...

Obligatory emulator screenshot: http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/misc/aspen-cairo.png

     - Vlad

[*] ./configure --disable-xlib --disable-png --disable-freetype --
enable-quartz --enable-cgfont --disable-ps --disable-svg --disable-
pdf  CPPFLAGS='-isysroot /Developer/Platforms/AspenSimulator.platform/
Developer/SDKs/AspenSimulator1.2.sdk' LDFLAGS='-isysroot /Developer/
Platforms/AspenSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/AspenSimulator1.2.sdk'