[cairo] cairo/quartz on iPhone

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Mar 7 01:27:11 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 03:52 -0500, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> The Quartz backend works as-is; the only issue there is that it was
> including Carbon.h, when it really should just be including
> CoreGraphics.h.  The bigger issue is that the iPhone does not have
> ATSUI (which is fine -- ATS is being deprecated on OSX overall), so
> wrote a start of a CGFont backend.  This really should be the main
> backend for Quartz; we can main compat with the old ATSUI font_face
> creation function pretty easily, but the ATSUI internals should go
> away.  I might try to do this before we release 1.6, as I'd like to
> see Quartz become a supported backend in 1.6 and these are really
> general non-iPhone specific issues.

Min elaborating a bit for an Apple-illiterate like me?  ATSUI is being
deprecated?  What will do text layout in the future then?  What's the
different between CGFont and ATS, functionality-wise?  Those kind of
things...

Also, getting quartz as supported in 1.6 may not be very realistic.  If
you are serious about it, you may want to move the quartz_image stuff
into a separate header file for now.  Without those, the cairo-quartz.h
API looks solid.  Same about cairo-atsui.h, even if atsui will be
deprecated, that function is still useful, and we can add other
font-face constructors in the future.  Or should the CGFont stuff be
done as a new font backend with a new type?

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759