[cairo] successfully built bindings via SWIG

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Mar 19 16:04:38 PDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:55:59 -0700, "Kyle Johnson" wrote:
> However, I have successfully built working bindings with SWIG for
> Python without having to code much at all (should work with Ruby,
> Perl, etc as well). This is based off the trunk from last night.
> I hope this is helpful. It's probably a lot easier to maintain SWIG
> bindings than individual bindings for Java, C#, Perl, PHP, Python,
> Ruby, Lua, Scheme, and Ocaml.

Hi Kyle,

This certainly sounds interesting. I'm not much of a bindings author
(nor user) but the whole process of manually keeping bindings
up-to-date (and replicating the work across many languages) has always
seemed annoying to me.

Though I also understand those that really want a proper "fit" for
their particular language constructs.

Anyway, is there anything in particular that the cairo project can do
to help here? Are there new files that we should host in the cairo
repository, for example? Are there changes we should make to any
existing files?

I see that you implied something about making a change in cairo.h:

> cairo.i (with preprocessor directives added to cairo's headers, this
> file wouldn't be needed):

But I have not idea what directives you would like to see.

Do tell us what more we could do to help.

And have fun with cairo!