[cairo] CMake

sam sirlin samuel.w.sirlin at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri May 2 09:02:16 PDT 2008

FYI as a user (part-time builder) I've found projects using cmake (not
many yet) harder to build in non-standard ways (e.g. solaris, freebsd,
non-root, amd,...). Autoconf/configure has some simple options to get
a lot of flexibility.  Once configure builds the makefiles, I can
always hack them to get things to work (very common). Or I can hack
the configure script itself (less common but still necessary).  With
cmake it seems you have to fight with cmake itself right from the
start. Tools that think they're smarter than you seem a step backwards
to me; they should be designed specifically to make it easy to hack,
assuming the builder knows best, as someone will need to do
so. Developers can not anticipate all possible configurations.  Of
course if more projects use cmake we'll learn how to hack it as well.