[cairo] CMake

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri May 2 10:13:56 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2 May 2008 11:27:19 -0400, "Jason G" wrote:
> build to their liking.  Why should I have to run ./configure --help or
> edit the configuration files just to find the switch that sets an
> option or a path?

Interesting comments, Jason. Thank you for sharing.

From what I have understood of your explanation of cmake so far, (and
I could be totally wrong still), what you're explaining as a feature
is just the opposite for me.

For example, if I install some versions of cairo into some
non-standard directory, (/opt/cairo), say. And from then on I want
everything I build to use it, then why should I have to keep providing
that same path in answer to interactive questions every time I build
something that depends on cairo? (Or help me understand if I've
misunderstood.)

I *like* that I can set an environment variable (PKG_CONFIG_PATH[*])
and have the setting be persistent.

So that brings me to one question. Does cmake support pkg-config at
all? I don't think I'd be interested in a setup that didn't. And I'd
also really like to see some standardization of common build
patterns. For example, I think supporting this at a minimum:

	./configure --prefix=/opt/cairo
	make
	make install

is essential. I've found that that pattern is extremely well
supported, (and not only in systems based entirely on
automake/autoconf).

Would a cmake build system let me get away with that?

-Carl

[*] Though I've said before that I really dislike having to set
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/cairo/lib/pkgconfig. That trailing /lib/pkgconfig
is always redundant, (I've never found a library that puts .pc files
into any other directory). And I also don't like having to set other
environment variables separately as well, (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
etc.). So again, that's my old scheme to have a universal variable
like PREFIX=/opt/cairo , but I've never done anything to make that
happen.