[cairo] cairo-1.6.4, Mac OS X, requested FreeType font backend could not be enabled

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed May 28 07:51:35 PDT 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008 05:22:27 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> checking for cairo's FreeType font backend...
> checking for FONTCONFIG... yes
> checking for FcFini... no
> no
> checking whether cairo's FreeType font backend could be enabled... no
> (requires fontconfig)
> configure: error: requested FreeType font backend could not be enabled

I'm not sure why it's saying that the freetype backend could not be
enabled. Perhaps it's not finding the freetype library? (The error
message there certainly isn't very informative.)

But the lack of FcFini should not be a problem at all. If that is
causing the freetype backend to be disabled, (and I really doubt that
it is), then that would be a bug in cairo's configure script.

You'll probably need to look at config.log to see what's actually not
working here.

> When not asking for a universal, it works fine, saying this instead:
> checking for cairo's FreeType font backend...
> checking for FONTCONFIG... yes
> checking for FcFini... yes
> checking for FREETYPE... yes
> checking whether cairo's FreeType font backend could be enabled... yes

It's strange that in the first case the messages are getting
scrambled. Again, it's likely not FcFini causing any problem. It's
more likely to be the "checking for FREETYPE" part, (though whatever's
causing FcFini to not be found might also be causing freetype to not
be found).

But I don't know anything about the OS X linker, and in particular, I
know nothing about what doing a "universal build" might change. So
you'll need to find somewhere/someone to help debug the
system-specific issues here.

> Now, MacPorts usually sets LDFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, and all the other
> variables as proper environment variables. In my universal variant
> for the cairo port, I don't do that; I prepend them at the beginning
> of the configure line. As I say, that worked with 1.4.x. Is there a
> reason why that would have broken with 1.6.x?

None that I can think of. Does anything change if you export these
variables?

> Or maybe that's not related. I see that commit
> ea4dec08f7c62ad3c3e81aa06ce0dd5a08936c45 says "Correct the check for
> FcFini() so that the result is actually used." And that change is in
> 1.6.4 but is not in 1.4.14. Maybe that's causing this?

Again, I don't think FcFini has anything to do with your problems.