[cairo] Report and question from the Cairo/XCB beginner camp

Felix Rabe public at felixrabe.textdriven.com
Thu May 29 15:26:12 PDT 2008

Hi

[ I'm reading all this stuff about speedy text-based email clients and
slow graphical equivalents on lwn.net and it's getting tiresome.  I want
speedy graphics (to render and to use) and let the console R.I.P. ]

With this motivation I tried more to improve my Cairo/XCB skills and cut
my stupid example down to the almost bare minimum, by basing it on the
tutorial included in libxcb/doc/tutorial/index.html, and by pasting in
the Cairo bits from the non-functional example I posted here some days ago.

Question - Can we do something about get_root_visual_type(), like,
remove it?  It looks too big for something so simple / so boilerplate.
Is (something like) it in / can it be put into: XCB or Cairo?

Of course, it's 130 lines of code - on one hand too much for almost no
functionality, on the other hand it's to be expected at such a low
level.  I'm longing for some free time to look more closely at
vpri.org's work (esp. fonc) in the near future.

Greetings,
Felix