[cairo] postscript bug, text output is truncated (not shapes)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Oct 13 12:39:52 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 11:21 -0700, Charles سمير Doutriaux wrote:
> Ok so i appied the method you suggested, creating a  page 792/612
>
> no rotation

Good.

> Now i get this....
>
> it's all truncted on my gs viewer...

I'm thinking this is a viewer bug, (or a failure to call the viewer
correctly).

If I open the document with evince, (which uses gs internally, as far as
I understand), then it displays the page correctly. Using gv works fine
too. But if I run "gs ldscape.ps" then it displays the drawing onto a
portrait-oriented paper of size letter, (on my machine), leaving some of
the graphics cut off at the right edge of the page, (and lots of empty
space above).

But I can do something like this:

	gs -sPAPERSIZE=ledger ldscape.ps

to see that, in fact, the entire drawing is present, and the only
problem is trying to convince gs to choose a page of the desired
size/oritentation.

I'm no expert in driving gs, so I don't know what the right answer is
there. (One possibile answer is, "Don't use gs as a viewer, use a 'real'
application like gv, evince, etc."). But someone here on the list might
be able to tell you how to use it better than I can.

Meanwhile, the PostScript document that cairo is generating does include
a hint to the viewer as to the desired page size:

	%%BoundingBox: 0 0 792 612

Presumably that's where evince and gv are able to find the right size. I
don't know that there's anything more that cairo should be doing to help
here, but if you find something, let us know and we'll definitely add
it.