[cairo] metafile from cairo into powerpoint

Dominic Lachowicz domlachowicz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 13:11:54 PDT 2008

Hi Charles,

I'd be surprised if PowerPoint couldn't import WMF and EMF files. You
could use Cairo's cairo_win32_printing_surface_create() call [1] using
the HDC returned by Window's CreateEnhMetaFile() function [2]. At that
point, you'll have an EMF on disk that should be usable by Office.

Best,
Dom

[1] http://www.cairographics.org/manual/cairo-win32-surface.html#cairo-win32-printing-surface-create
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534576(VS.85).aspx

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Charles سمير Doutriaux
<doutriaux1 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A lot of our users need to import graphics into their powerpoint
> presentations.
>
> We used to simply (under windows at least) do an insert picture from
> file, select the postscript file we wanted (not eps) tell powerpoint
> to treat it as eps, then right click on it, do "ungroup" and by some
> magic powerpoint would convert it back to some windows meta file of
> its own.
>
> That worked great but it seems that the file genrated by cairo are
> "font incompatible"with that method.
>

> I was wondering if there's a way to get some metafile from cairo into
> powerpoint (for rescaling and editing labels/legend at the last minute)
>
> I tried svg but Powerpoint doesn't seem to know how to deal with it.
>
> Is there another metafile format cairo can output to (like cgm or
> window metafiles?)
>
> I'm wondering how cairo users deal with this in genral.
>
> Thanks,
>
> C.

Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.