[cairo] Cairo manual URL case changes

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Oct 21 10:14:55 PDT 2008

Michael Urman wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Yotam Medini emailed me a request to fix the links in the (Python)
> version of the Cairo tutorial. I checked out the C translation at
> http://www.cairographics.org/tutorial/ and see it's suffering from
> similar broken links. In particular, many of the names under manual
> are now lower case instead of title or camel case. For example broken
> links, see the links in the various nouns sections such as Destination
> and Source.
>
> Is this something that was changed accidentally in the manual
> generation and should be changed back, or is it something intentional?
> Or more importantly should we start the process of covering for this
> on how ever many documents refer to these dead URLs (starting with the
> tutorials), or should it be handled either generation or server side?

Hi,

I did this intentionally to clean up the doc file names once and for all, but
also caused the dead links at the same time.  Last I checked Carl was going to
add redirects from the old URLs.

In the long run, best would be to set some web server magic such that to look
up a symbol you'll do, say, cairographics.org/cairo_create and that will
redirect you to the right place.  This is how php.net works and has been
hugely useful to me over the past ten years.

Cheers,

behdad