[cairo] GSoC: Scan converting rasteriser update

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 9 13:02:10 PDT 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Kalle Vahlman wrote:

> For what it's worth, I've been now running my desktop system for a
> week or so with your spans branch (at e9d79c8) and haven't seen any
> glitches (mainly using firefox, epiphany-webkit, gedit and
> gnome-terminal here) apart from laggines in certain situations which
> is likely the 10x slowdowns showing through.

Wee, thanks.  I guess I should've mentioned though that you'll
only see speedups if some operation falls back to the image
surface or uses it directly.  In particular xlib still uses the
tessellator and trapezoids to render things, so if you're seeing
any speedups or slowdowns it's _probably_ not my fault.

> It's always hard to say, but my initial feeling was that even
> with the slowdowns my desktop felt slightly snappier after the
> switch (naturally, that could just be a case of self-suggestion
> :).

I expect you're cunningly avoiding the new code path for the most
part.  I just ran the perf tests w/ the xlib backend enabled, and
there didn't seem to be change at all there vs. 1.6.4.  Sorry,
that must be disappointing.  :-}

Cheers,

Joonas