[cairo] Re : Re : Re : Re : internal cairo include syntax seems not flexible enough, backward-compatible fix proposal.

Travis Griggs tgriggs at cincom.com
Mon Sep 22 09:55:44 PDT 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Fabien Costantini wrote:

> Hey cool down Tor,
> First it was just a question,
> Second, I don't think that using any gcc or visualc (like vc6,
> vs2003 which I all use for testing purpose)
>  are shiny brand new compilers.

I've observed a tension here that is perhaps better formalized. OTOH,
there is a group of people who want a simple cross platform 2d
graphics library that they can compile easily in a number of places.
OTOH, the Gnome/GTK/X11 folks would like to use it quite a bit in
their projects. For them, cross platform may not be as important as
integrating nicely with some of the conventions and tools that have
been developed to make their life easier. Staying current and that
sort of thing.

A large amount of the contributions come from those people that are
working in the second group. Personally, I end up in the first group.
While the goals may pull us in slightly different directions, I hope
we can still appreciate one another's vantage point. I guess I just
want to say that I appreciate the efforts that those maintaining the
build system and code conventions put forth. And hope that they're
willing to consider making it easier to port to other (sometimes
antiquated) platforms. I know I have to worry about AIX/X11 later this
year, and am not looking forward to it.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist