[cairo] Hebrew, Cyrillic

Joerg Anders j.anders at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Sep 26 04:21:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Ralph Giles wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Joerg Anders
> <j.anders at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
>
>> Please give me a hint: What sould I re-compile. Which package Cairo
>> takes the letters from ? Is it X11/Xorg ?
>
> It asks fontconfig for a font matching the name you gave it.

Yes, but what exactly is the font name database? Does it search all
X11 fonts ? Or does it dearch the fonts compiled in into the glibc ?

> The
> problem may be that your "Times" font doesn't include the glyphs you
> want to use? Maybe try a unicode font like "DejaVu Serif" or a
> script-specific font name?

This does not help. Again: If I test the same program on Scientific Linux
I see at least the cyrillic letters. And I think and think: "What's
the difference between my Gentoo system and the Scientific Linux
system?. Which library, which database differs ?"

--
J.Anders, GERMANY, TU Chemnitz, Fakultaet fuer Informatik