[cairo] Cannot import PyCairo in Python 3.0 (ImportError: dlopen / "Expected in: flat namespace")

Gerdus van Zyl gerdusvanzyl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 07:49:48 PST 2009

Pycairo is actually a c-extension that wraps the cairo API with
objects for surface, context, etc. It's _cairo.so/_cairo.dll the
__init__.py is just a convenience for the python import system. The
python C API has changed so changes are needed (string to unicode and
int/longs merged). I am sure it will happen sometime :-)

In my own cairo using python library (uxpython.com) I'm sticking to
2.5/2.6 for quite a while at least till cairo/pango/pywin32 is ported.

~G