[cairo] Bringing back the dead... RGB16_565

Niranjan H nmlist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 03:10:38 PST 2009

Hi,
  I am working on a platform which has RGB16_565 surface.
I would like to know if there is any progress towards bringing back
RGB16_565 onto Cairo.

I saw this posting some time back :
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2007-May/010658.html

I saw the bugs also at
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2007-May/010669.html
Most of them are marked as RESOLVED/FIXED,
but still I see that 565 is marked deprecated in 1.8.6

typedef enum _cairo_format {
    /* The value of 4 is reserved by a deprecated enum value.
     * The next format added must have an explicit value of 5.
    CAIRO_FORMAT_RGB16_565 = 4,
    */
} cairo_format_t;

Can some one throw some light on what is the current status and  future for
RGB565 (if any) ?

Regards,
Niranjan H