[cairo] [cairo-commit] 2 commits - src/cairo-rtree.c src/cairo-rtree-private.h src/cairo-xlib-surface.c

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Wed Jul 29 04:51:32 PDT 2009

Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir at pobox.com> writes:

> Good point.  I would argue that we keep the unbounded operator values to
> keep the current impl, but change the source in a new render release to
> call these CLEAR_BROKEN or something.  Then change the beheaviour to be
> what's expected.

> Some apps may break, but we can get cairo updated
> quickly, and it would be beneficial for graphics on linux as a whole to
> not have to carry around workarounds and confusing semantics going
> forward.

If we were to do something like this, it would have to be done as a
new "Render 2" extension. There are several reasons, other than the
equation, that such a thing would be useful. Even so, it would take a
long time before cairo could stop supporting the old semantics, so the
workarounds would still be there.

While I do think the LERP_mask equation would be more useful overall,
it's not a complete no-brainer to change it. See this thread for
extensive discussion:

        http://osdir.com/ml/lib.cairo/2005-08/msg00368.html

Soren