[cairo] [cairo-commit] 2 commits - src/cairo-rtree.c src/cairo-rtree-private.h src/cairo-xlib-surface.c

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Tue Jul 28 11:44:35 PDT 2009

On 7/28/09 11:29 AM, M Joonas Pihlaja wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Bill Spitzak wrote:
>
>> What would be more interesting is the number that use the Render API in
>> any mode other than OVER. I think that is so tiny that all operators
>> other than OVER could be changed and nobody would notice.
>
> The current Render spec is already identical to the suggested "(src OP
> dest) LERP_mask dest" change for OVER, ATOP, DEST, DEST_OVER,
> DEST_OUT, XOR, and ADD.  SATURATE is pretty close but not quite
> identical.  The ones which would change are the unbounded operators
> CLEAR, SOURCE, IN, OUT, DEST_IN, DEST_ATOP.

Good point.  I would argue that we keep the unbounded operator values to
keep the current impl, but change the source in a new render release to
call these CLEAR_BROKEN or something.  Then change the beheaviour to be
what's expected.  Some apps may break, but we can get cairo updated
quickly, and it would be beneficial for graphics on linux as a whole to
not have to carry around workarounds and confusing semantics going forward.

     - Vlad