[cairo] Ann: Things! A vector animation API.

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sat May 9 23:20:54 PDT 2009

Hello all,
I started this a few years ago. I was delayed mostly, and could only get this
done now (May 2009). It's all about Cairo, and I got a lot of help from this
list, so here's my wee ann:

Things!
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/

"Things inside other things, doing things with stuff." is the basic recipe :)
Each thing has a timeline and a variety of ways to draw py-cairo graphics.
Each Thing can contain other things, and so-on down.
Things can be tweened around keys like size, rotation and alpha.

Inkscape is the 'extended' IDE for this API: You can draw all your vector
graphics there and pull them out into Things via Python. You can draw
individual 'sprites' or multiple 'loops' or paths and masks.

There is a (primitive) event system -- so you can do mouse stuff. Indeed there
is a ButtonThing and a HitThing ready for use.

My hope is that someone (with a brain, not like mine :) ) will take this API
and turn it into a fast C/C++ library. If this could happen then we could
focus on building an actual IDE to draw SVG and code Python and layout keys
all on a visual timeline. It could be a really neat animation system for
GNU/Linux (and other platforms).

The code is available on CVS at:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/things co things

You may need some extra libs, but running any demo will tell you what is
missing.

I attach a small screeny of the clouds.thingum.py demo.

Thanks for Cairo. Thanks for your help. Hope it's handy for someone.
Donn.
--
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/