[cairo] Building on Solaris

sam sirlin samuel.w.sirlin at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 12 10:35:20 PDT 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:44:44 -0700
Travis Griggs <tgriggs at cincom.com> wrote:

> Subject pretty much asks it all. I've got an old Sun box I need to
> build for. I'm no guru at this stuff. I found I didn't even have a
> 'make' in my path; I've remedied that by downloading and building it
> (interesting meta problem, how do you 'make make without make'). It
> appears to be operational. Now I'm trying to get pkg-config built,
> it's got errors. Maybe I'll share those in a bit, but more generally,
> has anyone built CairoGraphics on Solaris, and would be wiling to
> share the recipe, in as much detail as possible, with me?

I've got 1.8.8 running on solaris 10, so it can be done.

- you don't mention solaris version; troubles increase with older
  versions.

- sun does include an (old) version of cairo with their (old) gnome
  stuff...  if it works for you it's probably easier than building
  your own.  On the other hand, if it is installed it can be a pain to
  then build/install your own more recent versions of stuff.

- there's also sunfreeware

If you do build your own from source, be prepared for building lots of
stuff, debuging Makefiles, configure scripts...

- make sure you have gnu make; you probably want gnu sed as well, ...

- gcc is probably easier than sun cc

- consider gargnome

- decide how/where you want to install  all the stuff, whether or not
  you like LDLIBRARYPATH; I  don't, and put stuff in non-standard
  places so I have a shell script to call configure with CFLAGS,
  CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS, --prefix, etc defined.

--
sam sirlin <samuel.w.sirlin at jpl.nasa.gov>