[cairo] Building on Solaris

Travis Griggs tgriggs at cincom.com
Mon Oct 12 11:57:16 PDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 10:35 AM, sam sirlin wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:44:44 -0700
> Travis Griggs <tgriggs at cincom.com> wrote:
>
>> Subject pretty much asks it all. I've got an old Sun box I need to
>> build for. I'm no guru at this stuff. I found I didn't even have a
>> 'make' in my path; I've remedied that by downloading and building it
>> (interesting meta problem, how do you 'make make without make'). It
>> appears to be operational. Now I'm trying to get pkg-config built,
>> it's got errors. Maybe I'll share those in a bit, but more generally,
>> has anyone built CairoGraphics on Solaris, and would be wiling to
>> share the recipe, in as much detail as possible, with me?
>
> I've got 1.8.8 running on solaris 10, so it can be done.
>
> - you don't mention solaris version; troubles increase with older
>  versions.

We try and support customers running as old as Solaris 8/SunOS 5.8.

> - sun does include an (old) version of cairo with their (old) gnome
>  stuff...  if it works for you it's probably easier than building
>  your own.  On the other hand, if it is installed it can be a pain to
>  then build/install your own more recent versions of stuff.

> - there's also sunfreeware

Looks like they did 1.4.10 a long time ago for 8. We'd like to be able
to do the newer version, especially since the newer cairo versions
have the hope of not *requiring* fontconfig/freetype.

> If you do build your own from source, be prepared for building lots of
> stuff, debuging Makefiles, configure scripts...

Sigh. Wish I was better prepared. This is not my regular zone of
comfort. I guess I'll be learning some things. And begging for lots of
hints/help.

> - make sure you have gnu make; you probably want gnu sed as well, ...
>
> - gcc is probably easier than sun cc

I've got gcc 3.3.2 on this machine.

> - consider gargnome
>
> - decide how/where you want to install  all the stuff, whether or not
>  you like LDLIBRARYPATH; I  don't, and put stuff in non-standard
>  places so I have a shell script to call configure with CFLAGS,
>  CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS, --prefix, etc defined.

Thanks much.

If you had a list of steps you did to get it built for 10, that would
be greatly appreciated.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist