[cairo] introducing a "context backend"

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 12:57:37 PDT 2010

Wow! That looks right to me!

Amazing work if this was just done recently!

I would move the status checks to the backend functions. This will allow
them to skip the pre-test in cases where setting things is harmless, and
to skip the post-test if they know they could not possibly have caused
an error, or in the common case where they directly detect the error and
set the status. The frontend should be *exactly*
"cr->backend->foo(cr,...)" with no extra code.

It looks like there is one backend already, the "gstate" one, right?

An backend to implement is the "cairo recorder". Also (may be the same
class) a debugging wrapper for another cairo_t that records all the
calls, and checks the status everywhere and can then call a user-defined
function on errors. A hit-detection backend would also be nice.