[cairo] Cairo error: mandatory image surface backend feature could not be enabled

Benjamin Otte otte at redhat.com
Sun Aug 22 03:37:56 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 13:46 -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Arjen Nienhuis wrote:
>
> > My problem was that --prefix and $PKG_CONFIG_PATH did not match.
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > PREFIX=/foo
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig ./autogen.sh --prefix=$PREFIX
> >
> > For both pixman and cairo
>
> I know this has been discussed before, but can this please get fixed
> in cairo/pixman's configure? I.e make it act like PKG_CONFIG_PATH is
> exactly as shown above.

If anybody fixes this in cairo I'm going to hunt him down and maintain
some distro packages for cairo, so he can fix all the breakage
introduced by changing semantics of only one package. If it was to be
fixed, it should be fixed in pkg-config.

And if only pkg-config honors prefix, but AC_CHECK_HEADER() doesn't, we
end up with an inconsistent system, as Owen rightly pointer out half a
year ago when we last discussed this:
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-April/019656.html

So if you want to fix this, you should take it to the autoconf
maintainers. Until then, --prefix is for where the app is going to be
installed, not where to look for dependencies.

Benjamin