[cairo] Pango License

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:04:54 PST 2010

On Dec 15, 2010, at 12:21 PM, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> Owen Taylor wrote:
>>

>>> Is the HarfBuzz license usable? I'm guessing it is because Qt is
>>> using it.
>> Just to be clear, Pango's license is usable!
>
> Sorry, I agree that LGPL is usable. I meant by the original poster's
> criteria (or his company's lawyer's criteria). Though I really can't
> figure out what the MPL offers that the LGPL does not, for a library
> that will be dynamically linked.

Having dealt with a number of big companies about this lately--I'm
being semi-facetious, borderline-serious here--is that it does not
have the sequence G P L embedded in its name. That may sound stupid
and trite and shallow. My point is... it doesn't matter. Large swarms
of very non-technical people have made up their mind to be afraid of
the letters G, P, L and anything related to it in anyway, regardless
of the nature of the connection. It is biased, and bigotous, and
irrational. You can spend lots of cycles trying to "educate" the
masses to behave rationally. You will be fighting a millenia old battle.

I have no problem with the LGPL, or the GPL, or... there all fine. But
it's irrelevant. IBM does. OOCL does. JPMoran does. AMD does. Verizon
does. Etc. I put bread on my family's table solving problems for these
people. I've got better things to do than die knowing I helped them
realize that fear of the three little letters, g, p, and l, is stupid.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist