[cairo] Subtractive API, part 1

ecir hana ecir.hana at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 07:45:08 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> www.color.org
>
> Find and download the current 4.2 spec. You'll find it referred to as the "named colour class" profile. It contains the name of the spot color, a PCS (either XYZ or L*a*b*) value, and an optional output device specific value (such as for a particular press or proofing condition, could be RGB or CMYK, etc.)
>
> These are not used for making color separations, but just for dealing with spot color solids.
>
> output device class profiles support up to 15 channels in the ICC 4.2 spec, so you could have CMYK+4 spots if you wish, as a single output device class profile. In that case the "data colour space" signature is '8CLR" rather than "CMYK" or "RGB". If you have a four color, non-CMYK, color space, the signature is "4CLR", and so on. Any xCLR color space based output device class profile must also have a colorantTableTag which defines the channel both by a unique name and either XYZ or L*a*b* values.

Ok, ok. But where can I get the actual ICC profile? Say for Pantone 295C?

I'm asking this, because say I want define that spot. That means, I
need a name a the fallback. You said I should define the fallback in
LAB - where, as a user, could I get those values from? Then, I thought
ok, maybe you meant an ICC profile, which would contain those values,
so where could I get that profile from?