[cairo] PDF backend generates images that gs can't display etc

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Feb 19 09:40:30 PST 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:31:26 +0100, Arjen Nienhuis <a.g.nienhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Michael Sløgedal <michael at makeweb.no> wrote:
> > Aha, that's why I couldn't reproduce the problem.
> >
> > Is there a way to configure cairo to create v7 files?
>
> Cairo creates PDF-1.4 which should work with Acrobat 5 and later. To
> avoid the problem you could try to avoid using masks.

Just to re-emphasize this. There's no distinction between an "Acrobat
v7" and an "Acrobat v9" file. In both cases those programs are designed
to be interpreting files according to the PDF 1.4 specification.

We don't currently have workarounds in cairo's PDF output for bugs in
particular viewers, but it's not entirely inconceivable to imagine
adding one (as an option of course). It would require better
understanding of what the viewers' bug is here and how cairo could work
around it.