[cairo] building cairo (was Re: 1.10 release schedule)

thomas at wsinnovations.com thomas at wsinnovations.com
Mon Jan 11 12:49:54 PST 2010

> From: Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>

> And sucks ass if you want to crosscompile, which the cairo autotools can
> do nicely.
> Of all the gives-us-world-peace-where-autotools doesnt, scons, cmake,
> waf et al plain suck for crosscompiling. Maybe in 10 years they will,
> but currently....

The current cairo build system is adequate. Off topic however, I would
defend the notion of scons crosscompiling. It is still somewhat DIY and
hackish, but by no means absurd or out of the question. As for  the windows
platform in general, the best way to do windows development, is of course,
on *nix. (I wish it was that way for osx targeting as well).

Less off topic, don't underestimate cairo's role as a leader, and example
in the "native development renaissance". In 2020, do you want to see
software engineers back to squirreling around with visual studio, x code,
eclipse, and autotools projects, or do you want to the world to be a
happier place? Think long term.