[cairo] [Blacklisted] cairo-egl and cairo-vg

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 11:51:07 PDT 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 13:24:26 +0200, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi, recently I tried to play a bit with those two backends:
>
> - right now cairo-egl uses parts of cairo-gl making it unusable in
> system providing egl+openges2 (including x11 support) but not opengl nor
> glx.

Yes, we've known this problem is brewing. The prevailing opinion is that
it should just be a mutually exclusive configure time option. The
situation is that bad unfortunately.

> - cairo-vg doesn't work with the mesa implementation and relies to
> cairo-gl in a way or another.

vg needs quite a bit of love at the moment. Fixing the boilerplate is the
first job. Then make sure the upload and download of images is correct.
After that it is removing enough code to start passing the test suite and
then gradually add it back, testing as you go.

> Is somebody working on them? Anybody willing to guide me a bit while I
> try to do myself?

As far as I know, nobody is currently working on the VG backend. It's been
on my wishlist -- especially to have a VG, GL and image backend for the
same hardware. Please do fix it up and you are welcome to as much help as
we can muster.

> lu
>
> PS: I had some problems trying to access my fdo account, something happened?

Try #freedesktop on irc.freenode.net,
sitewrangers at lists.freedesktop.org, or just file a bug.

I hope you can get the issues resolved and return to the usual happy state
of Cairo development.
-ickle