[cairo] List of required DLL when distributing?

Travis Griggs tgriggs at cincom.com
Fri Jun 4 01:39:37 PDT 2010

On Jun 3, 2010, at 11:19 PM, Mj Mendoza IV wrote:

> I tried sharing my test app to a friend. Accompanying my app is the
> libcairo-2.dll. And since I am using the PNG and ZLib, I also
> included libpng12-0.dll andzlib1.dll. To my surprise, my friend
> didn't get to test my app. It was looking for libfontconfig-1.dll,
> then libexpat-1.dll then freetype6.dll.
>
> Lucky for me, I have GIMP installed which have all these.
>
> So my question is, does Cairo really need those?!? Is there a way to
> remove the dependency on libfontconfig, libexpat, and freetype?
>
> My test app is at: http://konsolscript.org/demo/quixie-
> cairo-100601.zip

I spent a good deal of time, about 6 months ago, deriving a script
that would download and build Cairo 1.8.8 for Windows in such a way
that it minimized library dependencies. It was slightly larger (25%
maybe? but still under 1 MB) than the standard GTK build, but resulted
in a dll that needed no other DLLs and ran anywhere from Windows
Server 2003 to Windows Vista. And built with all free tools. It's
documented here

http://www.cairographics.org/end_to_end_build_for_win32/

I hope, in the next couple of weeks, to do it again for the current
release, and make sure it works on Windows 7 as well. So there may be
some updates coming.

I'd really like to be able to do the same thing for Pango as well (for
OSX and Windows). We'll see.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist