[cairo] 1.10 timeline and beyond

Ian Britten britten at caris.com
Thu Jun 17 05:46:07 PDT 2010

On 15/06/10 04:08 AM, Tim Teulings wrote:
>> I'm afraid there's no windows maintainer, so your testing and feedback
>> is all the more appreciated! Keep rattling those bells, please. :)
>
> Not so nice :-/ Doesn't cairo play for example an importent part in
> Firefox? I also planed to drop my direct Win32 API access in favour of
> cairo.

I'm planning/hoping to do that with our stuff too, but with one
critical difference:
We've had far too many bad experiences with Win32, regarding driver
issues (both graphics and printing), alpha handling, etc.  Thus, my
plan will to be to simply use the Image backend of Cairo, and just
Blit the final image to Windows when necessary.  We've already done
that for printing - Works great!
[ Note that we've never investigated Cairos Win32 backend, so I can't
speak for how well it works.  Our experience is from using Win32 API
directly ourselves. ]

Just my $0.02 ...
Ian