[cairo] cairo on windows (with perl)

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Tue Jun 22 00:02:18 PDT 2010

> I run cygwin on my computer so I downloaded the cygwin version of pkg-config
> and that error went away.

If what you really are using is developing for Cygwin, the subject of
this thread is misleading.

Cygwin should really be considered a separate, different, operating
system, that just happens to run on top of Windows. If you are using
Cygwin, it's best to practically forget that there happens to be
Windows underneath, and just look for and use Cygwin versions of
everything.

Note that pkg-config on Cygwin works just like on any other Unix, it
does not do the automatic "relocation" of prefixes in .pc files as it
does on Windows. I.e. it assumes that, just like on other Unixes,
packages are installed in a location decided by the package builder.
(If they aren't, the .pc files must be edited then, for starters, and
there is no guarantee run-time packages code actually work if
installed in the wrong place.)

> Now the problem seems to be that cairo.pc is nowhere on my disk.

Have you looked for cairo in the Cygwin package repository? Is there
no cairo.pc included in their cairo development package (whatever they
call it)? That is a bug in its Cygwin packaging then, complain to the
Cygwin maintainer of cairo.

> I already download the binaries and source for cairo from
> http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html,

All there is for Windows, not Cygwin. Didn't you notice the text
"These packages are not for developing or running programs that use
the Cygwin Unix emulation environment" on that page?

> but I wasn't able to find a file called cairo.pc.

It's in the cairo development package, as it should be. But I repeat,
if you use cairo from Cygwin, you shouldn't use anything from
http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html .

--tml