[cairo] Rendering Intent names

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 16 13:54:03 PDT 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 11:57 AM, James Cloos wrote:

> CM> The risk of going with something unique, but plain English is that
> CM> it's also misleading. The vast majority of images which are not both
> CM> highly saturated and highly detailed, are best rendered using
> CM> relative colorimetric plus black point compensation as the intent.
>
> I found this terminology in a widely used UI; it is hardly unique.

It is misleading however.

Personally I would prefer to see rendering intents go away. An algorithmic approach to determining the intent automatically I think is a better default than either one size fits all, or altering existing terminology. I admit that the terms use for the rendering intents is neither intuitive or friendly.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
New York, NY