[cairo] Image backend improved in 1.9.6?

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu May 6 06:07:49 PDT 2010

On Wed, 5 May 2010 11:13:41 -0700 (PDT), Thomas Dempton <t.dempton at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have heard rumors of an improved image-backend, not going through rasterizeEdge anymore.
> I profiled my application and an awful lot of cycles are spent in rasterizeEdge() (70%),
> so I hope this improvement will help. Are there cases which still call rasterizeEdge?

It is still called for rectilinear non-pixel aligned boxes with a clip-mask.

> How complete is this approach has are there some benchmark-numbers available?

The best benchmark is, of course, your own application. In order to help
us improve Cairo for your usage, you can record the calls made to Cairo by
your application using cairo-trace. We can then replay this trace and even
add it to our set of benchmarks and so tune Cairo for your application.

  http://cairographics.org/FAQ/#profiling

Have fun using Cairo, and please do send us a trace!
-ickle