[cairo] Cairo & OpenGL: is this possible?

Benjamin Otte otte at redhat.com
Fri May 14 05:23:03 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:35 +1000, John C. Turnbull wrote:
> Do you know of any examples that do something
> similar or are attempting to head toward where I am heading?  Yes, my
> ultimate goal is to integrate Cairo, 3D and video so I would be *very*
> interested in any further information or links you could provide relating to
> the work being done in this area.

There's my gst-plugins-cairo work which allows drawing to cairo-gl
surfaces using GL commands. I achieved that by adding the APIs
cairo_gl_surface_new_for_texture() and cairo_gl_surface_get_texture().
That way, I can take the surface's texture, create an FBO for it and
then draw to that FBO, or I can create a surface for my own texture and
draw that using traditional Cairo commands.
And of course, there's still the option of using a GLX window with Cairo
and draw to it with regular GL commands.

Does that sound like something that would work for you?

Benjamin