[cairo] Questions about Cairo and Windows

Thorgrimsson, Chris Chris.Thorgrimsson at lamresearch.com
Fri Oct 1 09:40:02 PDT 2010

I've been using cairo and Pango on Windows XP (via a set of VisualWorks Smalltalk bindings) for over a year and have been very happy with it. I work for a company that makes semiconductor processing equipment and we use cairo to drive an animation overview for one of the machines. It's been in production for over a year without issue. Granted, we use a fraction of what cairo is capable of doing, but what we do use works very well. So far, every performance issue I have run into, has been on my side, not cairo.

When it came to building the DLLs, I started to try and do it all in VS2008, but ended up going the route of GCC+mingw32. I think an end-to-end build within VS is possible, I just didn't have the patience to figure it all out. That was all when cairo was at 1.8.8. We are still using 1.8.8. Shortly after I finished mucking around with the whole build process, Travis Griggs (the same guy who made the Smalltalk language bindings) published an easier end-to-end build guide on the cairo wiki for building on Windows and Mac. You may have already seen this, but just in case, check out. http://cairographics.org/building/ . Over the next several weeks, I will be attempting to rebuild for 1.8.10, but will probably end up using the method that Travis published. If you do end up choosing to do it all in VS2010, I would be overjoyed to know how you did it!

Curious...is Windows7 the only target OS? If so, why not Direct2D (dare I mention that name on this forum....).

-Chris