[cairo] Compiling Cairo with Visual Studio 2008

Adrian Lopez adrianlopezroche at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 12:08:54 PDT 2010

I'm trying to compile Cairo using Visual Studio 2008 and GNU Make 3.81, but
I'm getting an error message about a non-existent "list" command. I've also
read about issues with the mkdir command (Windows' mkdir doesn't take the
same arguments as GNU mkdir), but I haven't gotten to that point yet. What
exactly are the tools required to make Cairo under Windows using Visual
Studio 2008?

I'm thinking I might be better off creating a Visual Studio project and
compiling it that way instead of using the Makefile, but that might involve
more work than necessary. On the other hand, I'm afraid of what a malformed
Makefile might do to my system, so perhaps I'm better off that way. Has
Makefile.win32 even been tested under Windows?