[cairo] Compiling Cairo with Visual Studio 2008

Cxx Joe cxxjoe at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 12 12:23:32 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Adrian Lopez
<adrianlopezroche at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to compile Cairo using Visual Studio 2008 and GNU Make 3.81, but
> I'm getting an error message about a non-existent "list" command. I've also
> read about issues with the mkdir command (Windows' mkdir doesn't take the
> same arguments as GNU mkdir), but I haven't gotten to that point yet. What
> exactly are the tools required to make Cairo under Windows using Visual
> Studio 2008?

Hey,

I followed this guide:
http://cairographics.org/end_to_end_build_for_win32/
(which is mostly current, make sure to get the right msys version)

and made this script which nicely compiles cairo and its dependencies
into three DLL files:

http://code.google.com/p/infekt/source/browse/trunk/tools/cairo-maker/build.cmd

(it doesn't perform any error checking or something, but if your
environment is set up correctly (which is not particularly hard at
all), it works like a charm)

Furthermore you may be interested in this post:

http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020797.html

and also in this thread about an issue which makes using Cairo 1.10.0
on Win32 a bit cumbersome, currently:

http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020814.html

The Cairo devs don't seem to be putting too much effort into making
Cairo play nice on Win32 right now, but it's a great library and
certainly works very well on Windows most of the time.

Hope this helps.
Joe