[cairo] Compiling Cairo with Visual Studio 2008

Adrian Lopez adrianlopezroche at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 16:47:28 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Cxx Joe <cxxjoe at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I followed this guide:
> http://cairographics.org/end_to_end_build_for_win32/
> (which is mostly current, make sure to get the right msys version)
>
> and made this script which nicely compiles cairo and its dependencies
> into three DLL files:
>

> http://code.google.com/p/infekt/source/browse/trunk/tools/cairo-maker/build.cmd
>
> (it doesn't perform any error checking or something, but if your
> environment is set up correctly (which is not particularly hard at
> all), it works like a charm)

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

> Furthermore you may be interested in this post:
>
> http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020797.html
>
> and also in this thread about an issue which makes using Cairo 1.10.0
> on Win32 a bit cumbersome, currently:
>
> http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020814.html

I read about these issues while looking for answers on compiling Cairo under
Windows. I've been using Cairo 1.8.10 binaries with Visual Studio 2008
without any obvious problems, so I'll likely stick with 1.8.10 for the time
being. I'd continue using the binary build of Cairo 1.8.10, but I've just
discovered it's compiled against older libraries than those included with VS
2008, which I expect might cause unpredictable problems.

> The Cairo devs don't seem to be putting too much effort into making
> Cairo play nice on Win32 right now, but it's a great library and
> certainly works very well on Windows most of the time.

Hopefully the issues with 1.10.0 will ultimately get fixed. Perhaps if more
of us Windows programmers raise our voices (or, better yet, volunteer), we
might get things working again under Win32.

> Hope this helps.
> Joe

Thanks.