[cairo] PDF file with outside color

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Tue Dec 6 03:33:12 PST 2011

On 05/12/11 21:31, Vincent Beffara wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use cairo to create PDF figures to be included in a LaTeX
> document. Everything works very well as long as the text color is black,
> but I would like the figure to appear in blue when inside a paragraph
> typeset in blue (typically in a beamer presentation).
>
> In short, I want the PDF figure to _not_ set the stroke color.
>
> I know it is technically possible, as the PDF files created with IPE
> have that behavior. Admittedly it could well be considered a bug in IPE,
> but nevertheless that is the behavior I am looking to reproduce in cairo
> (in cairomm would be even better, but I can adapt ...)
>
> Is that doable ? How should I proceed if it isn't ?

The PDF specification defines the initial fill and stroke color to be
black. So it is not a bug for IPE to not set the stroke color if the
required color is black. Cairo always sets the fill or stroke color the
first time the color is used.

I am not familiar with how LaTeX embeds PDF figures but it appears to be
a bug in LateX for it to be not setting the stroke color to black before
merging a PDF figure into its PDF output.