[cairo] When printing, chars are replaced with square graphic char

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 15:57:55 PDT 2011

>1. Run "cupsctl FileDevice=yes"
>2. Clone your printer. I don't use Gentoo but in Ubuntu in
>system-config-printer you right click the printer and select Duplicate.
>3. Run "lpadmin -p myprinter -E -v file:/tmp/printout"
>   replace myprinter with the name of your cloned printer.
>4. Print to the cloned printer. The captured output will be in /tmp/printout

# /etc/init.d/cupsd stop

# cp /etc/cups/printers.conf /etc/cups/printers.conf.backup

# /etc/init.d/cupsd start

# cupsctl FileDevice=yes

# lpadmin -p myprinter -E -v file:/tmp/printout

Print to the printer.
The captured output will be in /tmp/printout

# chown user:user /tmp/printout

To reinstate the original settings, as the above cupsctl/lpadmin rewrite
printer.conf settings:

# /etc/init.d/cupsd stop

# cp /etc/cups/printers.conf.backup /etc/cups/printers.conf

# /etc/init.d/cupsd start

(Did I get this correct?  I think I made it easier for everybody to
understand?)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/